Thursday, November 22, 2012

Expressing Themselves: Anna Cowan on Sex and Sarah Frantz


Anna Cowan's written a blog post which I found interesting and, since she also quotes from an essay by Sarah Frantz, I thought I'd link to it. Here's a taster:
One of the difficulties in writing sex scenes as a feminist writer is that so much of female desire is learned. What women have learned to be aroused by has traditionally been shaped by male desire.

It’s tricky.

I don’t want to just write my heroines as objects of desire – but just because it’s learned doesn’t make it any less real. In fact, when our learned desires come into conflict with our educated feminist ideas, they can gain a level of taboo that only heightens them.




"Transparent links" was created by Stephen Slade Tien and made available via Wikimedia Commons under a "Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 Unported license."

No comments:

Post a Comment