Paper topics on this special theme might include:
- Romantic scandals in celebrity culture (secret babies! surprise engagements!)
- Major scandals in the romance publishing world (#CopyWriteCris, #CockyGate, the RITA Awards, etc)
- Scandals in romance novels (in specific texts, or in Romancelandia)
- Forbidden love in TV and movies (on screen or behind the scenes)
- Contentious depictions of romance in pre- and post-Hays Code movies
- The rom-com in crisis: dead or alive?
- Shipping wars in fandom (eg. Larry Stylinson and One Direction)
- The endless romantic scandals in soap operas and telenovelas
- The love triangle (arguably the most scandalously loved and loathed romantic trope!)
- Taboos and forbidden tropes in popular romance (adultery, anyone?)
- Scandals in romantic reality TV (The Bachelor, Married at First Sight, Love Island, etc)
- Romance and scandal in The Philadelphia Story, in honour of the city hosting this year’s conference
Submit 250-word abstracts by October 1, 2019
More details here.