Call for Papers: Popular Romance
Thursday-Sunday, October 6-9, 2016
Hilton Rosemont Chicago O’Hare
(Conference info: http://www.mpcaaca.org)
Deadline for submission: 30 April 2016.
Love and romance are pervasive elements in popular culture, showing up in film, television, fiction, manga, advertising, advice columns, pop songs, and more. We are interested in any and all topics about or related to popular romance and its representations in popular culture (fiction, stage, screen—large or small, commercial, advertising, music, song, dance, online, real life, etc.)
Topics can include, but are not limited to:
• critical approaches, such as readings informed by critical race theory, queer theory, postcolonial studies, or empirical science
• depictions in the media and popular culture (e.g., film, television, literature, comics)
• literature and fiction (genre romance, poetry, animé)
• types of relationships (marriage, gay and lesbian)
• historical practices and traditions of and in romance
• regional and geographic pressures and influences (southern, Caribbean)
• material culture (valentines, foods, fashions)
• folklore and mythologies
• jokes and humor
• romantic love in political discourse (capitalism)
• psychological approaches toward romantic attraction
• emotional and sexual desire
• subcultures: age (seniors, adolescents), multi-ethnic, inter-racial
• individual creative producers or texts of popular romance
• gender-bending and gender-crossing
Submit a one-page (200-250 words) proposal or abstract by 30 April 2016 to the Popular Romance area on the MPCA/ACA website http://submissions.mpcaaca.
More conference information can be found at http://www.mpcaaca.org/.
For further inquiries or concerns, please contact Popular Romance Area Chair, Maryan Wherry, firstname.lastname@example.org.